This tasty recipe’s perfect for picnics, for parties and for persuasion – isn’t it, Geoffrey? (Tempt a man with a flan, poppet, and he’ll be on grocery duty for a month.)
|Preparation time:||15-20 minutes (plus around 30 baking time)|
Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5.
- Make up the pastry mix according to the instructions on the back.
- Roll the pastry onto a floured surface or between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper. Use it to line your flan dish, then prick the base with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes to lightly cook the pastry.
- Meanwhile, wilt the spinach in a large pan with a dash of oil for 3-4 minutes. Drain through a sieve, squeezing out any excess water, then roughly chop.
- Beat the eggs, cream, milk, salt and pepper together. Grate and add the cheese, reserving some to go on top.
- Pop the leeks, pepper and spinach into the pastry case, then pour over the cream mixture. Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown, checking that the filling has set and is cooked through. Once it’s done, you can enjoy it right away or serve it cold.
Oven temperatures and cooking times may vary, snugglemuffin. These instructions are a guide, not gospel.