LEMON MERINGUE PIE
Now, this recipe’s perfect for bring ’n’ buy sales, hip hop dance-offs, and apologies of all types, e.g. accidentally used treasured scarf as dish cloth (sorry Tina) or lied about age for three decades (sorry Geoffrey).
|Serves:||8 to 10|
|Preparation time:||45 mins (plus around 45 baking time)|
Preheat the oven to 190°C / 180°C (for fan assisted ovens) / 375°F / Gas Mark 5.
- Make up the Mrs Crimble’s Pastry Mix following the instructions on the box and then line the bottom of the flan dish with pastry. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes. Meanwhile, make up the lemon filling.
- Mix the lemon zest and juice, cornflour, water and sugar in a saucepan over a gentle heat, stirring all the time until the sauce thickens then lightly simmer for a 1 minute. Leave to cool.
- Separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites together in a clean bowl until they form soft peaks. Gradually add the caster sugar and cornflour and continue to whisk until the meringue holds stiff peaks.
- Add the egg yolks to the lemon filling, stirring until combined. Pour into the pastry case. Heap the meringue onto the lemon filling swirling the top with a fork.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown.
Oven temperatures and cooking times may vary, snugglemuffin. These instructions are a guide, not gospel.